Monday 17 May 2010

The perfect dress: Samantha Sung at KJs Laundry

Cycling around Marylebone, I stopped in Marylebone Lane, home to a clump of lovely shops. At number 108, Biggles, the sausage king, provide meat only sausages (suitable for gluten free diets) in a great variety of flavours. Less meaty but still delicious is Paul Rothe &Sons at number 35, where you can buy a sandwich, a cup of tea or a jar of pickle to bring home.

In truth, my detour to this lovely street was motivated by the memory of Tracy Neuls' intriguing shoe shop - more on this later. The promise of a sale "forced" me into KJs Laundry - one of Vogue's Britain best boutiques 2010 whose sales assistants have the right mix of friendliness, honesty and cool.
Nothing in the sale really worked for me, but, amidst jackets from Fillipa K (Jackie stretch cotton jacket at £135 down from £195) or dresses fromYMC (£130 down from £175 for the tulip dress), I could not resist inspecting the amazing S Sung dresses that I had already drooled over last year and which were on display in the window.  Samantha Sung is an American Korean designer, based in Honolulu - how cool is that! The prints that she designs combine East and West in techniques (batik, tie-die...) and colours. Mostly, her Audrey dress is perfect. Its feminine cut is flattering, the V neck elongates the figure whilst the 3/4 sleeves hide the less attractive part of the arm. The model I tried last year did not work on me,  but this time... it suited me and felt just right. I suspect the addition of some stretchy material in the fabric explains the change in fit or could I have lost a pound in the right place? Considering my current chocolate consumption, I doubt it! In any event, it looked really good, even if I say so myself.
I have to come to the painful bit now. The Audrey dress costs £395...
To know more about Samantha Sung: http://www.samanthasung.com/index.html
To know more about KJ's Laundry: http://www.kjslaundry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment