Tuesday 15 September 2009

A Manifesto

A woman over 40 no longer exists for the fashion industry. Whilst the beauty industry has cottoned on to the fact that the 40+ woman is a wonderful source of revenue and can be parted with her hard-earned cash by prodding her insecurities and promising miracles, the fashion industry seems blind to that segment of the market. Once you are over 40, you have to pretend to stay 30 forever, or adopt a "mumsy" look of boring clothes and invisibility. I don't want to pretend that I am 30 and I don't want to lose the fun of fashion.

Whilst some women adopt the rail-thin look or toned-to-death appearance that helps them get away with what the fashion pages offer, most of us have to contend with changing figures that do not fit fashion collections designed for younger bodies. We rummage through rails of inadequate clothes, hoping to find the gem that will not only fit but also suit us. We are caught between the dreaded "mutton dressed as lamb" look and the sad elasticated waistbands of senior citizen garb. Designers aren't interested in our demographic category, nor are teenage sales assistants, pressured to produce a sale that will net them a commission.

Shopping for clothes used to be fun and creative and I wish it could stay that way. I don't expect the same from my clothes now than I did 20 years ago, but designers don't seem interested to find out what I want. I'll give them a hint. Whilst looking sexy was the main goal then, projecting my personality has now become more important. I still want sexiness and femininity, but in a subtle - not tragic and deluded way. I know my age, I don't want to hide it but I still want to look good!

This blog intends to document and share my search for clothing, accessories and looks that work on a woman over 40. I want to review and recommend shops that stock the right range of clothes and brands that understand and celebrate our ignored breed, the fashion-conscious "mutton"! I might give voice to the occasional gripe and frustration, but I mostly believe in positive reinforcement to effect change and wish to be a positive voice in the blogosphere. I welcome your comments and suggestions and hope I can help you feel and look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment