Friday 9 October 2009

The joys of vintage

Vintage is a wonderful source of cheap, well-made unique clothing and accessories, which would otherwise be unaffordable. The difference between vintage and second-hand is quite subtle now that some pieces from the Nineties can be found in vintage shops.  Vintage definitely sounds better than second-hand which brings to mind frayed collars and over-stretched sweaters.

For me, vintage was a particularly good source of statement clothes when I was a student in LA and had no money to spend on clothes. I remember a striking bellboy cobalt blue jacket which became the inspiration for a tailor-made suit offered by my husband many years later. My rule with vintage was not to buy anything that would directly touch my skin, so I mainly stuck to jackets and accessories or unworn vintage such as shoes still in their original box. Some of my friends tell me that buying vintage clothes is their secret to being well-dressed at a fraction of the cost of new clothes. For them, it is practically a way of life as they care about beautiful, well-cut clothes, can't afford their prices and opt for vintage - it works for them as they look stylish and amazing. For others, it is only one of many sources of clothes and accessories as they mix and match vintage with new. My friend Claudia, who kindly served as my guide through the Portobello market area that she knows inside out, says: "Don't exceed the prescribed dose!" She guards against the "old wacky artist look" of head to toe vintage.  I see what she means as a Thirties look might be cute and witty on a 16 year old but smack of the freakish bag-lady on a 40+. She tells me that she only buys what she can wash at reasonably high-temperature - she even washes woolens at 30 degrees and uses shampoo as soap as it is suitable for delicate fabrics and gets rid of the musty smell of some vintage clothing. She buys vintage cashmere - better quality than the modern China-made stuff, and particularly likes Edwardian fine cotton blouses which can be worn on a camisole in the summer and nicely hide the tricky upper arm area.


Claudia shared with me her favourite vintage sources from charity shops to high-end boutiques to the market stalls under the canopy at the top of Portobello road.  Charity shops, the brilliant British invention is a great starting point. A well known source is the Oxfam shop at 245 Westbourne Grove , W11 2SE, where a quick trawl through the rails and shelves revealed beautiful glass pearls with a lovely brillante clasp at £12 (sorry for the blurred picture) and a very good Brora cashmere jumper at £30 (from £169 new) - size unknown, which is a hazard of vintage shopping.










Another recommendation is the Fara charity shop, raising money for Romanian abandoned children,  located a number 10 Elgin Crescent, W11 2HX.  The shop has a polished look and a dynamic manager. We picked out shoes in great condition. If you are a size 6, the Ferragamo cantilevered patent wedges can be yours for £65.


Another pair of patent wedges, not quite as striking and by Gucci this time were priced at £40 for a size 4.

Whilst charity shops pre-select and present clothes in an appealing ways at slightly higher prices, the real finds are often on the market stalls. The stall holders under the canopy at the top of Portobello road are usually very knowledgeable and helpful. Under Claudia's guidance, I was thrilled to discover beautiful Jacqmar silk scarves in very good condition for £10 each. The stall holder tells me she sells on ebay under the name of "littlemissimpact" but I could not locate her on the web.  I could not decide between the two I liked best, so I bought both - something you can afford to do with vintage!


2 comments:

  1. good work - backbround might be a bit brighter - am feeling, just because we're old doesn't mean we are not cool :) but i love it. great work. colour - do one one colour - what colours can i wear at 48?? how short can the skirt be - i love the short look but are people whispering about me? and accessories - can i get away with big trendy earrings? look forward to your assistance and wise guidance :) best mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions! You're right - background is rather dull. I need to work on presentation. Any colour works at 48, in small doses for brights and they need to work with your skin tone. Skirt length depends on how good the legs are and the Joanna Lumley advice of wearing short skirts with high boots, thick tights and a long coat sounds good to me. Otherwise, I'd stick to just below the knee pencil skirt or A-line. Big earings is tricky - I used to love them and I realise that I no longer wear them, or only very occasionally in the evening with a neat hairstyle and outfit to avoid the gypsy witch look.

    ReplyDelete