Tuesday 4 May 2010

Too cute for a mutton?

As a student then a young working woman, my style signature was my vast collection of earrings - generally large, dangling, colourful and often quirky. I would store my collection on a wooden ladder display and pick those that suited my mood in the morning. Thankfully, I worked in media where those signs of individuality could be accepted. Still, I now realise that wearing tin teapots, dangling from my ears was not always wise and probably didn't project the ideal executive image.
When I longed for sunshine and the beach, I could wear a bit of summer on my ears.
One pair of earrings offered me a drastic view of corporate life's ups and downs and another offered the comfort of oriental philosophies.
For special occasions, such as May Day, I would celebrate with a bunch of Lily of the valley - traditionally offered in France on May 1st, my brother's birthday.
I have not worn any of those earrings for years for fear of falling in the "mutton dressed as lamb" trap but I still treasure them.
However, there is hope for those of us who want a bit of fun on their ears. Some jewelry designers create pieces that are whimsical and charming but discrete enough to be worn without projecting the wrong image.

Louise Buchan's jewelry is possibly a bit too "cute" but I still like it - moving from teapot to cup and saucer seems quite grownup!
Check out her website for more details:
http://www.louisebuchan.com/category/jewellery

Sophie Harley creates lovely pieces in silver and gold, from the original "Loveknot" created for the Bond film and worn by Eva Green in Quantum of Solace to charm bracelets, rings, necklaces and ... earrings.  

Please visit her website for more information: http://www.sophieharley.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment