Tuesday 12 January 2010

Highstreet watch - COS

I took a trip to the high-street with my eldest daughter, "the ruthless judge" to take advantage of the sales and replace an ill-chosen Christmas gift - too old and desperately out of touch. I had thought she might like the retro look but she didn't. I completely agree with her - the J&M Davidson bag and belt are definitely more suited to me than to a 16 year-old.



We first stopped at COS, H&M's bigger sister. When I first discovered their Autumn/Winter season, I liked the resolute look, the fabrics and execution, but I must say I was  rather put-off by the either exaggeratedly pointy or droopy shoulders, harshly geometrical lines and almost grotesque silhouettes that seemed to constrain rather than free the body.

 

This time, rummaging through the sales rails and the new stock, I found a couple of really nice dresses that I think can look very good on a 40+.  Good enough to buy one actually! The Chartreuse colour dress comes in a silky jersey with elegant silver tipped ties. I tried it in size S and it was quite big - always a nice feeling, and retails for £45 (it is not in the sale).

 
 
 

The purple woolen dress is in the sale at £32.50 but its black version sells at the full price of £65.  I bought the purple one - it is in the sale and a nice change from too much black in my wardrobe.

 

I would like to invite you to go to Cos if only to try clothes in their beautifully lit changing rooms. They bathe you in a warm glow that magically erases wrinkles, sun spots and unattractive signs of aging! On a different note, COS make all the right noises about closely monitoring their suppliers' working conditions and implementing their code of conduct.

JM Davidson make beautiful bags, accessories and clothes, available at their shop at 97 Golborne road, London W10 5NL, Tel: +44 208 969 2244.

No comments:

Post a Comment